11 Feb Snack Your Way to Health? Really?
I don’t know about you, but for me, snacks are where I fall down. It’s easy to eat a healthy breakfast, pack a salad chock full of nutritious goodness and plan a healthy dinner. But when your stomach starts to rumble in the middle of the morning or afternoon, all of those healthy meals can be sabotaged with that quick grab for the nearest candy bar, cookie, donut, office snacks, left over birthday cake from one of your colleagues or a few handfulls of jelly beans that lurk a few desktops away!
These are the innocent calories that can pack on the pounds and zap you of your energy! And there’s something about traditional office cultures that views these types of snacks as treats. Fun food. Comfort food. Comfort? Food? Hmmmm. Let’s take a closer look at what happens after eating some junk food, candy and other “treats”.
First of all, most junk foods and candies do not contain nutrients that are of any benefit to you. In fact, most are filled with harmful fats, oils, sugar and carbohydrates, all of which are hard to digest and will rob you of your precious energy and concentration. In short, junk foods may be high in taste (and even that is questionable) but are also high in calories and low in nutritional value.
When my daughter was in High School, her friends loved to hang out at our house after school. And as a result, I always made sure to stock the pantry with tons of junk food which they loved to devour. Due to some health challenges, my daughter ditched the potato chips for blueberries, cookies for gorp and to her friends’ horror, the junk food supply began to dwindle. They complained. They moaned, But continued to eat the new snacks that were offered. And soon, the complaints turned into praise as we all journeyed into the land of health.
This is something that can happen in your office too and it can start with you! Here are just a few healthy snack ideas for you to keep on hand in the office. Trust me. Your waistline, energy levels and maybe even colleagues will thank you!
10 Healthy Snacks To Keep at Work
- Fresh Fruit: Apples, Berries, Melon, Grapes (really, anything goes!)
- Hummus & Mini Pitas, Pita Chips or Whole Grain Crackers (gluten free if needed)
- Fresh Veggies: Carrots, Celery, Peppers, Edamame, Jicama, Green Beans (they are all good!)
- Pop Corn (air popped please)
- Nuts (walnuts or almonds are ideal)
- Trail Mix (single serving please)
- Yogurt (dairy or non-dairy)
- Almond or Peanut Butter (to spread on your fresh fruit!)
- Corn, Whole Grain, Veggie or Pita Chips
- Healthy Snack Bars
10 Healthy Beverages (Soda Alternatives)
- Infused Water (cucumber, lemons, etc.)
- Seltzer or Sparkling Water (you can also add a splash of juice)
- Green or Herbal Tea (hot or iced)
- Fresh Squeezed Juice
- Milk or Milk Alternatives such as Soy, Almond, Coconut, etc.
- Coconut Water
- Homemade Lemon or Limeade
- Purple/Red Grape Juice
- Fruit and/or Veggie Smoothie
Please share your healthy snack ideas in the comment section!
Vivienne Fleischer, PBE Co-Founder