06 Dec Maintain, Don’t Gain (Over the Holidays & Beyond)
Well, it’s that time of year where we are all shopping, celebrating and feasting. And if you are not careful, all that feasting can lead to weight gain. In fact, I was talking with one of our clients a few weeks ago who designed a program for their employees called, Maintain, Don’t Gain which was so simple and effective, that I figured I’d share the basic approach so that you can keep your weight in check over the holidays (and beyond)!
It calls for the following:
- Keep track of your daily food and drink intake. Use an app, a journal or even a spread sheet and record the time, what you ate or drank, portion size and calories.
- Weigh yourself every day or every other day. Scales don’t lie!
- Drink 6 – 8 glasses of water every day. (Track that too!)
- Keep track of your daily exercise. Use an app, a journal or a spreadsheet here too and record your activity, the amount of time, intensity and calories burned. (If you don’t know, Google it.)
Some additional tips to help you maintain your weight during the season of social events, office parties and an overall mood of excess and indulgence:
- Eat a small snack before you go to a party. Yogurt, some nuts, a salad or healthy snack bar. This will curb your appetite.
- Drink water before you go out, it helps to fill you up.
- If you know you will be going out, make sure to exercise earlier in the day to burn extra calories.
- Get enough sleep. Studies show that lack of sleep can lead to weight gain.
- Indulge a bit, but then get back on track after that. After all, gotta live a little right?
Let me know how you cope with holiday eating frenzies and stay the course in the comments below!
To learn how we can help you and your organization, visit us at www.pbergo.com