02 Nov Are Hidden Ingredients Zapping Your Energy?
Last night, my husband opened the fridge and grabbed a healthy looking snack that my daughter stocked up on. Dannon’s Fit and Light Blueberry Yogurt. Only 80 calories 0 Fat and 5 grams of protein. Sounds good right?
But then I looked more closely at the ingredients and learned that it also contains fructose, natural and artificial flavorings, Sucralose (atificial sweetener), Acesulfame Potassium (more artificial sweeteners), Red Dye #40 along with a few other unpronouncable chemicals.
Keep It Simple
Now, I have been scrutinizing food labels ever since my breast cancer Dx 7 years ago and have adopted a very simple rule: If you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it. And that rule has served me very well. And one of the biggest benefits of following a healthy, whole foods (and in my case vegan) diet has been the surplus of energy and lack of brain fog that I enjoy. In fact, I have more energy now than I did 20 years ago. And THAT motivates me to keep on going.
So, here is what I have learned to decipher when looking at ingredients listed on food packages. Many foods that are labeled as “healthy” are far from it.
Buyer Beware Of …….
- Hidden Sugars: These ingredients may be “flavorful” but add calories and add absolutely no nutritional value to your food. Watch out for any words that end in “ose” and ingredients followed by the word syrup. Some common ones are: Dextrose, Fructose, Glucose, Invert Sugar, Lactose, Maltose, Sucrose, Corn syrup and High Fructose Corn Syrup.
- Artifical Sweeteners: In 2 simple words? AVOID THEM! They are not only nutritionally void of anything good, they are actually harmful and disruptive to your body. Some of the more common ones are: Sucralose (Splenda), Aspartame, Cyclamate, Kaltame, Acesulfame Potassium, Neotame, Neohesperidin Dihydrochalcone and of course, Equal, Splenda & Sweet-n-Low
- Common Additives: Artifical flavors, food colorings and preservatives (most FDA approved by the way) are rampant in our food supply. Many of these have been linked to food allergies, sinus congestion, behavioral disorders, auto immune diseases and even cancer. Some of the most common ones are:
- Trans Fats, commonly labeled as: Shortening, “Partially Hydrogenated” or “Hydrogenated” as well as Mono and Dicglycerides.
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), commonly labeled as: “Hydrolized” or “Hydrolized Protein”, Autolized Yeast and anything “Enzyme Modified”
- Preservatives, commonly labeled as: TBHQ, Polysorbates (60, 65 & 80), BHT & BHA, Nitrates and Nitrites, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate and Sulfites.
Clearly there are hundres and hundres more that I can add to this list, but if you struggle with feeling sluggish, have food allergies and sensitivities, skin problems, find it hard to lose weight, brain fog and just not at your best, think about the saying …. You. Are. What. You. Eat.
Because you really are. So, be smart. Empower yourself and choose foods that will fuel you with energy, with health and keep you radiant and healthy. It’s not only easy, but tasty too!
How do you choose healthy foods? And how does that affect your energy? Let us know in the comments section!