15 Sep Is Your Stress at Work All In Your Head?
I love what I do. I really really do. But it wasn’t always this way. I remember when I was in college, I landed a summer job at NY Life Insurance. A “good” job, which paid well and had promise for a full time position when I graduated. The problem was that I hated, and I mean, HATED my job.
You see, I was number 86 in unit B doing data entry. Forget the fact that it was an ergonomic nightmare, it was mind numbing. I would fast forward time in my mind and think things like “Ok, it’s almost 11:00, which means it’s almost noon which means that the day is almost over. And it’s Wednesday which means it’s almost Friday and the week is almost over.” To add insult to injury, I had to wear panty hose and heels. I was miserable and a complete stress mess.
I eventually gave notice and went on to pursue my passions which led me to a career journey that includes to date working in childcare, teaching in schools, running a children’s musical theater group and of course doing what I’m doing today, which is to help you thrive in your life, both on and off the work clock.
However, I had a client once who described her job as a data entry clerk at a hospital. She basically sat at a desk in the basement of the hospital and posted patient payments into a data base. That’s it. All. Day. Long. I was thinking in my head I’d want someone to shoot me if I had to do that.. But when I asked her how she liked her job, she said “Oh, I Love my job! I studied hard to learn how to work with the numbers and I work until 2:30 every day and then I get to be with my kids when they get home.”
And that got me thinking…
Work stress in large part stems from your mindset on the job. And depending on your mind set, work can either be a dream or a nightmare.
Here are some questions for you to think about. And, if you can shift your mindset on a few things, you may find that you will be more satisfied and gratified at work. And if not, maybe it’s time for a change.
Sooooo…..What’s your working mindset? And is it working for you?
- Is work the center of your life? In other words, do you live to work? Or do you work to live?
- Is work a means to something else? (Maybe you are in school, or your current job is a necessary resume builder.)
- Are you happy working alone? With others? Does your work environment honor your personality?
- Are you using your gifts?
- Do you feel appreciated for what you do and what you bring to the table?
- Do you enjoy your colleagues?
- If you are a solopreneur or work at home, are you feeling isolated? Is there something you can do about that?
- Are you mindful in the work place? Meaning, are you able to focus on the task at hand, or is there a constant whirlwind around you and incessant demands that makes you feel like you have to multi-task? What can you do about that?
- Do you like what you do? If not, what can make your current job better, and if not what would you rather be doing?
My motto is. You only live once, so live it as best you can.
I hope this helps and please jump into the comments and share some of your answers to the above questions. I want to hear from you!